Wednesday, May 14, 2008

my tokio


Taken tonight at Shinjuku station with the 3.2 mega pixel digital camera on my phone. An advertisement for OIOI, a department store.
'smoking in the rain, a cigarette butt grows and grows, raindrops, tobacco, crumbling'

The legal age to smoke and drink in Japan is 20, and everyone does. They're quite eco-friendly about it, but so naive about tobacco and nicotine, it's hypocritical in some ways. For example, every few hundred feet, you'll find big bright vending machines for cigarettes, sometimes two or three in a row, and any kid who can reach the buttons can buy a pack. There are select areas all around the city and inside buildings for smokers: by the train station, next to a convenience store, at school it's by the staircase, smoking sections at restaurants, office buildings have smoking areas, even on the train platform there's a smoker's area, and an allotted time to smoke (generally non-rush hour). However, as per the photo above, we have this sign (covering a big ash tray), with beautifully written prose to stop people from throwing away their cigarette butts, and there are similar signs all over Tokyo. Walking and smoking is not permitted in most areas, and many stores sell cute and practical hand held ashtrays (and every so often I'll see someone using them). They're worried about where all the cigarette butts will end up, whereas in the States, every single box of cigarettes sold will tell you you're going to die. I suppose the Japanese emphasize community, and building a more beautiful dwelling. Americans, on the other hand, concern more about their own health and well being. I wonder which one costs more money, which is more effective. In the states they have commercials to keep adults and kids from smoking. Those anti-smoking truth campaign ads, some give me the shivers, but some are clever and cute. Effective? I suppose. I've seen a few ads on the train here, not necessarily anti-smoking ads, but 'get yourself checked for lung cancer before it sneaks up on you and it's too late' ads. They look very wordy and pristine, and they change the train advertisements so often, so its effectiveness is dubious at best. But then again, people live long healthy lives here. I guess what I'm trying to say is get rid of the vending machines and save some energy...at least.

I thought it was funny. They're florida grapefruits.

The last two photos I also took with my phone, but using my phone camera not the digital camera. Why have two cameras on my phone?...just having that option makes me feel...free.
(excuse the sarcastic undertone, goodnight)

2 comments:

Marilia Melo said...

Maybe things are starting to change about it.. They created TASPO - http://www.taspo.jp/english/taspo/Introduction.html
it should start by july here in Tokyo, but there are so many machines, I doubt all of them will use taspo.

And they say that in China is worst then here.. well, if america and europe are starting to stop smoking, who will buy all America's cigarettes? =P

mitsue said...

true. very true.
they'll just have to get make cigarettes more addictive

the taspo is going to be pretty serious, a photo id